[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Dec 7 10:10:21 EST 2009

> and in fact, AcmeI has agreed by
> contract to be reachable for network operations purposes.  In
> fact, AcmeI has the very same provisions in their contract
> with HostingCo, and HostingCo has (at least in theory) a
> person reachable via cell for handling their server issues.
> AcmeI also wants to make sure that HostingCo's subdelegation
> is very visible to the community, so that the first call goes
> to the party which is most likely to be able to solve the problem.

In this use case, the chain of contractual relationships
apparently does include a promise to provide contact data
for someone who is READY, WILLING AND ABLE to act on
communications received. This means that their contact
information is useful for the purpose of resolving network
issues.

It should also mean that if the operator of the whois
directory contacted one of these people to verify that
they are indeed READY WILLING AND ABLE to act, then
the contactee should confirm this. In this way, the
whois directory operator could ensure data cleanliness
and accept the entry. I don't believe that the operator
of the whois directory should accept any entry that
someone wants to put in there.

We need a policy that give everyone clarity.

--Michael Dillon