[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sat Dec 5 00:46:34 EST 2009

Stephen Woodrow wrote:
> May I suggest a clarification of the language here:
>
>> This reduction does not apply to resources received via section 8.3. An
>> organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue to
>> request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
>
> To me, the first sentence is perfectly clear, while the second
> sentence adds confusion due to the fact that a request may be for 3 or
> 12 months, depending on the state of the IANA free pool. Can the
> second sentence be deleted or otherwise adjusted to reflect the intent
> as clearly described in the rationale below?

The two sentences in question were taken directly from the original
Draft Policy that was reviewed by staff and presented at ARIN XXIV.  So
this part of the text hasn't changed since Dearborn.  But, it did get
moved around a little though.

Personally, I think it is clear, but I wrote it.  So, I'm probably not
the best judge.  What do others think?

Just to be clear on the intent, this relates to Transfers to Specified
Recipients per NRPM section 8.3. In current policy without the addition
of 2009-8, a recipient of a transfer can receive up to a 12 month supply
of IP addresses. The intended result with 2009-8 applied is for a
recipient of a transfer to continue to receive up to a 12 month supply a
12 month supply of IP addresses.  The reduction to a 3 month supply is
intended only for allocations from the ARIN free pool, not transfers.

>> Rationale:
>> This policy is intended to be independent of other policies or proposals
>> to reserve address space for IPv6 transition or other purposes. It is
>> not intended to limit Transfers to Specified Recipients per section 8.3
>> of the NRPM.
>
> Otherwise, I support this draft.
>
> --Steve

Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it.

So, now I need additional feedback from others on the clarity of this
part of the text.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952