[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Dec 4 17:25:29 EST 2009

> Why is he wasting time fooling with all this whois nonsense
> on the Internet when he can just drive around until he sees a
> yellow school bus and then follow one of those teenagers home?

Because he doesn't want just any victim, he wants your daughter
because his intent is to get revenge for something that you
said on the Internet.

> Why is it necessary for people to generate these outlandish
> and nonsensical analogies that anyone with a half a brain can
> blow holes into,

Whoa there. Mentally deranged people don't have half a brain
left after damaging it with angel dust and other chemicals.
Also, you can only blow holes into specific instances. We have
to consider the whole population of the ARIN region and
statistically, there are a certain percentage of people who
do go out and do this kind of stuff. We should make sure that
we do not facilitate their misdeeds in any way.

> Why do I even bother asking when I know the
> answer already - BECAUSE THE WHOIS PRIVACY POINT IS HOGWASH
> IN THE FIRST PLACE and the people pushing it cannot come up
> with a legitimate example so they make up silly ones.

This is not a silly example. You offended someone, they obtained
your IP address from their web server logs or wherever, then
they looked up your details in whois, went to your home and
assaulted your family. The whois directory is a critical link
in this chain, and many of us believe that ARIN should not be
forcing ISPs to publish information that individuals do not
want to have published. This is already a principle of ARIN
policy with the private residence stuff, but many of us feel
that it could be done in a more consistent and useful way.

--Michael Dillon