[arin-ppml] state educational networks

Brent Sweeny sweeny at indiana.edu
Tue Dec 1 16:55:55 EST 2009

The question of statewide education networks has come up and been
briefly addressed with regard to Minnesota; in fact, most of the states
have them to some extent: thirty-nine (of 50, not 51 ;) ) of them are
connected to the Internet2 network as "Sponsored Education Research
Groups" (see http://k20.internet2.edu/about/segp). I'm certainly
prejudiced, but I think they do a good job and usually provide better
support than available commercial alternatives, who have different
goals.  Also, as indicated WRT Minnesota coverage varies, so contact the
particular network for specifics.

Since Michigan has also been mentioned in connection with GQHS, I should
mention that the MERIT network does a great job of providing network
connectivity to K-20 (and others) in the state of Michigan and there's
no need to (claim to) reinvent that wheel.  As far as I could see, GQHS
would in Michigan as elsewhere have little or no justification for
becoming any sort of *IR.
I hope that information is helpful.
	Brent Sweeny, Indiana University