[arin-ppml] SWIPs & IPv6

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Dec 1 15:10:29 EST 2009

On Dec 1, 2009, at 11:33 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> So, for LIRS that want to pee all over themselves, well
> then don't file SWIPS.  In fact I ENCOURAGE IT STRONGLY because
> then all I have to do is null-route your ENTIRE AS, I don't even
> have to waste CPU cycles blocking just the obnoxious traffic
> from Wonkulating.

Ted -

Under this philosophical approach, what would ARIN's responsibilities be with respect to an organization which files no SWIP's and runs no rwhois service?

More specifically, if an organization is willing to accept the incident/security response obligations implied by not showing sub-delegations, is that "acceptable" until/unless the organization needs to show utilization for an additional address block?   (If so, wouldn't it be best to update the NRPM to reflect this "optionality" of SWIPs/rwhois data?)

/John

John Curran
President and CEO
ARIN