[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out - Last Call

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Dec 1 13:11:56 EST 2009

Now that the Thanksgiving holiday has passed here in the US,
I would like to remind everyone that there is an important pice
of policy business on the table for PPML.

Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out is in Last Call.

Three of the last four Draft Policies had little or no Last Call
comments; two hand no comments, one had one comment,
and the forth policy had 10 comments from 5 individuals.

As one of the AC shepards for this proposal I would appreciate
any Last Call comments you may have on this Draft Policy,
even if it is simply that you support the policy as written.

The text of this Draft Policy changed significantly from the
version discussed on the floor at Dearborn, so please take a
moment and read it carefully including the Rationale.

Thank you,

And finally in the spirit of the upcoming holidays;

Best wishes to you and yours;
Peace on Earth, and;
THE UNIVERSAL ADOPTION OF IPv6. :)

On 24 Nov 2009 Member Services wrote:

> The ARIN Advisory Council (AC) met on 19 November and decided to
> send a revised version of the following draft policy to last call:
>
>    Draft Policy 2009-8: Equitable IPv4 Run-Out
>
> Feedback is encouraged during this last call period. All comments should
> be provided to the Public Policy Mailing List. This last call will
> expire on 10 December 2009. After last call the AC will conduct their
> last call review.
>
> The draft policy text is below and available at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/
>
> The ARIN Policy Development Process is available at:
> https://www.arin.net/policy/pdp.html
>
> Regards,
>
> Member Services
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>

> ## * ##
>

> Draft Policy 2009-8
> Equitable IPv4 Run-Out
>
> Version/Date: 24 November 2009
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Rename NRPM 4.2.4.3;
>
> 4.2.4.3 Subscriber Members Less Than One Year
>
> Replace NRPM 4.2.4.4 with;
>
> 4.2.4.4 Subscriber Members After One Year
>
> After an organization has been a subscriber member of ARIN for one year,
> they may choose to request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
>
> When ARIN receives its last /8, by IANA implementing section 10.4.2.2,
> the length of supply that an organization may request will be reduced.
> An organization may choose to request up to a 3 month supply of IP
> addresses.
>
> This reduction does not apply to resources received via section 8.3. An
> organization receiving a transfer under section 8.3 may continue to
> request up to a 12 month supply of IP addresses.
>
> Rationale:
>
> This policy is intended to ensure an equitable distribution of IPv4
> resources as run-out of the ARIN free pool occurs. This is achieved by
> changing section 4.2.4.4 of the NRPM to reduce the length of supply of
> IPv4 resources that may be requested when the IANA free pool runs-out.
> Equity is accomplished by reducing the window that an advantage or
> disadvantage can exist between competitors, that will be created when
> one competitor receives a final allocation just before run-out and
> another competitor does not.
>
> Further this policy ensures equity between incumbent resource holders
> and new entrants by providing the same length of supply for each as the
> ARIN free pool runs out. This eliminates a potential bias toward
> incumbent resource holders that is created as a result of ARIN free pool
> run-out interacting with resource allocation slow start for new entrants
> in current policy.
>
> This policy is similar to ideas in RIPE policy proposal 2009-03
> (http://www.ripe.net/ripe/policies/proposals/2009-03.html), and has been
> adapted by discussion and for use within the ARIN region.
>
> This policy is intended to be independent of other policies or proposals
> to reserve address space for IPv6 transition or other purposes. It is
> [...]

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818