[arin-ppml] Update on 2009-3: Global Policy for the Allocationof IPv4 Blocks to RIRs

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Aug 19 19:55:00 EDT 2009

Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>> William Herrin wrote:
>>
>>> We really ought to move 2009-3 forward. Participating in the
>>> establishment of a formal mechanism for redistributing addresses
>>> between regions is the act of good faith that we need to derail the
>>> politics here. After making it quite clear that just as with the UN,
>>> we have no intention of giving up control over which of our resources
>>> get sent to the rest of the world.
>>>

>> They ain't -our- resources.  They are IANA's, who just gave them to
>> ARIN to administer.
>>
>> How can ARIN go to an address hog and claim with a straight face that
>> the hog must give up their unused addresses, or clean up their act,
>> and quit hoarding them - and then turn around and do exactly the same
>> thing?
>
> So are you in favor of 2009-3, along with a local policy to return
> unused addresses to IANA?

Yes and no.  I am not really in favor of 2009-3 as written but I would
like to see aggregation occur.  2009-3 seems to take the approach that
all recovered legacy space goes to IANA who then aggregates it and
then doles out the aggregated blocks.  Well, that's one way to do it.

Another way would be for the RIR's to periodically engage in trading
where say a RIR has a chunk that has adjacent blocks in use managed
by another RIR (or that should be managed by another RIR) well why
can't they just horse trade among each other to say well I have this
block that you could aggregate with some of your stuff and I'll give it
to you, with the expectation that you will give me some blocks you
have that are best managed by me.  Why formalize the interaction between
RIRs, after all isn't this kind of work what we pay them to do?  I
guess I have reservations in keeping IANA involved in the day to day
operations work.  I'd rather see IANA come in only when it's clear that
RIR's aren't cooperating with each other and someone has to make the
Solomon decision of cutting the baby in half.

Ultimately if push comes to shove IANA supersedes.  So if there's no
other way to do it than by this sort of global policy, I would be
convinced to support it.  I just wonder if we shouldn't just try
RIR-to-RIR cooperation first, and only bring in IANA if that doesn't work.

Ted