[arin-ppml] Multihomed Microallocations

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Tue Aug 4 15:31:41 EDT 2009

Kevin Kargel wrote:

> [...]

Why does the small user and experimenter WANT PI space in the first
place?  Well, their multihoming I hear you say.  Baloney.  You do not
need PI space to multihome.  You can advertise an assignment from an
upstream just fine.  So what that there's a covering route out there,
you still have your redundancy.

When you boil it down it really comes to 2 reasons:

a) The small operator wants to be able to tell an upstream to kiss
off if they get pissy with him, without renumbering.  That's lock-in.

b) The small operator cannot get even a small amount of space (like
a /24) from an upstream because that upstream is severely constrained on IP.

Neither reason is really valid now.  Renumbering a /24 is childs play,
if an "experimenter" or "small user" cannot manage to renumber a /24
they are incompetent and shouldn't be fooling around in this to begin
with.  So what it's inconvenient - their desire for less inconvenience
is at the expense of the entire Internet.  Thus, for a /24, lock-in is
a myth.

As for the upstream being constrained, well I don't see ARIN denying
IPv4 requests right now.  Sure they will in the future - but there will
be plenty of small /24's that are currently abandoned that ARIN will end
up taking back as a result of recovery efforts.  If an upstream is
claiming they are IP constrained that is a flat out lie.  Send them to
the RIR for more numbering.

Now, maybe in the future this will change and little allocations won't
be available anymore.  So people are wanting to get their
microallocations now, before the land rush.  OK, fine, no problem there.
  But eventually no matter what policy is done, there won't be any
more allocations of any kind.

You might be throwing a lifeline to the small users and experimenters
right now, but only for the next few years crop of 'em.  After all,
what do you think becomes of experimenters when their IPv4 disappears?
Those that have brains and courage come out all right; those that
haven't are winnowed out.

Ted