[arin-ppml] Multihomed Microallocations

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 4 13:01:18 EDT 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:15 PM, William Herrin<bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Owen DeLong<owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> I suppose we can agree to disagree here. It does, actually impact
>> ISP allocations.  As soon as a person qualifies for a /24 under this
>> policy as an ISP, it would immediately convert them to a known
>> ISP in the ARIN service region and make them eligible to receive
>> a /32 of IPv6 in addition to their IPv4 /24. While I'm all for removing
>> unnecessary barriers to multi-homing, I think giving an IPv6 /32
>> to every user that justifies a /24 as an ISP opens up a serious
>> hole in policy.
>
> Bullhockey. The 6.5.1.1 requirement is that the organization must "be
> an LIR" as defined under 2.4. That requires that they be allocated
> (not assigned) addresses from any other IR. Typically that's an RIR
> like ARIN but there's not restriction on it being another LIR.

Come to think of it, under the current IPv6 policy, I can, right now,
today, have my ISP *allocate* me an IPv4 /30 on my single-homed $20
DSL connection *and* delegate rwhois to my server. Next I assign /32's
to my two next-door neighbors and put their names in my rwhois server.
If I now promise to make 200 downstream IPv6 assignments within 60
months, I'm qualified to receive a /32 of IPv6 space... based on that
promise, my use of 4 IP addresses and my payment of the annual ARIN
fee.

One wonders why I ever thought it was hard to get IPv6 addresses from ARIN...

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004