[arin-ppml] Rationale for /22

Kevin Kargel kkargel at polartel.com
Mon Aug 3 12:14:24 EDT 2009

One quick point on the existance or emergence of small multi-homed
networks..

In the past year and a half I have seen a very noticeable increase in the
number of small organizations that are going or attempting to go multi-homed
with DSL connections to multiple upstream providers.  They are doing this as
a means to try and do what they did before with expensive dedicated circuits
like T1.  Increased reliability of a $39.95 SDSL has led these customers
down the primrose path to think that if they have a couple of these then
they don't need an $800 ATM circuit.

I am not saying I agree with this philosophy or even that I think it is
functional, but I am seeing it happen.

As these customers get educated they figure out that they are technically
"multi-homed" and that they "can" get their own IP space, and if they invest
in a router that can do BGP they can gain transparent (to the end user)
routing reliability using these DSL connections.  Bean counters tend to
prefer non-recurring expenditures to recurring expenditures.

These organizations are small hospitals, clinics, small banks, farmers,
insurance agencies, non-chain manufacturers and distributers, et.al.  They
don't need a lot of IP, but they do need routing failover.  They are
learning that it is theoretically (albeit not realistically) possible to do
what used to require a T1 on SDSL better for a fraction of the cost.

I believe we will see a mushrooming incidence of these small multi-homed
organizations in the routing tables in the coming years.

This will affect the issue of global routing table size and does have a
bearing on reducing the minimum allocation unit.