[arin-ppml] Ted's Comment on 2009-2

Joe Maimon jmaimon at chl.com
Wed Apr 29 15:05:09 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> I'll bet you a beer that it will be the smaller ISP's
> who make native IPv6 available to their residential customers over
> broadband BEFORE larger ISPs do.
>
> Ted

Available as in by request or as pilot or even fully dual homed customer
base with guipv4?

Likely.

As in you can have /32v4 and a whole /64v6 in response to customer
request for larger?

Unlikely.

As in you can have rfc1918 v4 and this /64v6? (It is easier for small
orgs to deploy nat/pat)

Only if they have to because they need to stop assigning guipv4. And if
it turns out that small ISP's need to go this route before larger ones,
that is clearly inequitable.

When a small ISP turns down requests for globally unique ipv4 in favor
of handing out ipv6, the smaller ISP is going to lose the customer to
the larger ISP.

And remember, guipv4 for customers have always been more available and
cheaper for large organization than for small, witness the 500 times
price per address difference between the smallest and largest
allocations, add to that larger scale opportunities for scavenging and
recycling, add to that the ability to pony up serious cash on any
potential ip market, or to even just buy out underutilized small ISP's.

As such my conclusion is post IANA runout, large orgs will be able to
provide ipv4 --by (paid)request at least-- far longer than smaller
organizations.

I am not worried about the large ISP's. Where they go, the smaller ones
can follow, along with their customers. It wont work the other way.

Thanks,

Joe