[arin-ppml] Ted's Comment on 2009-2

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Apr 29 13:51:00 EDT 2009

Um, the fact of the matter is that -WE- don't have that problem since
our upstreams supply IPv6.

Others do, however.

> > Clearly, the transit AS's need to get IPv6 deployed first.
> Since the
> > largest ISP's with the highest IP consumption rates are all in this
> > club, and since they can't use the small IPv4 blocks that will be
> > available after the larger IPv4 blocks are assigned anyway, it's a
> > no-brainer to tell the largest ISPs - who need to be routing IPv6
> > first - that they will lose access to IPv4 block requests first,
> > before small orgs do - as we approach IPv4 runout.
>
> As I've said, many do, and many others are just around the
> corner. Why aren't you using your transit budget to reward
> the organizations that provide the services you need, if you
> need it right now?
>
> I do not buy your argument that you can't get IPv6 transit.

-I- am not making that argument.  As I said, we have seen these
complaints on this list.  A search of the list archives will provide
plenty of examples.  I invite you to engage with those
people and explain your philosophy of how money motivates and
listen to their explanations of why you don't know what your
talking about.

Personally, I agree with your "money talks, BS walks" argument, I've
made it myself, before.  But,
I don't presume to tell some ISP in North Dakota how their upstream
feed is supposed to act when threatened.  They tell me that they cannot
use financial motivation to force their feed to supply IPv6 - I'm
going to take what they say at face value.

But, let's get back to some realities.  As I said, the largest ISPs
will be unable to obtain usable IP number blocks from the IPv4 schema
for some time before the actual last IPv4 block is assigned.
Comcast recognizes this, which is why they made this proposal to
begin with.  Since that is the case in reality, what is the objection to
merely lengthening the time that large ISP's cannot get IPv4 allocations
satisfied, so that we can extend the time that the smaller ISP's can
still get IPv4 allocations?