[arin-ppml] Ted's Comment on 2009-2

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Apr 29 04:53:15 EDT 2009

> comment - let's quit dancing around this small/large ISP
> issue, the heart of it is that flexibility aside, most
> smaller ISP's don't have as much money to put into capital
> improvements like new routers.  Because of this, most of them
> will want to delay purchase of new IPv6-compliant routing
> equipment as long as possible to take advantage of falling
> prices.  Frankly, a surprising number of small ISP's are
> almost certainly  buying used routers off -Ebay (SOMEONE is
> buying those 7200's that are all over Ebay) so the longer
> they can delay the move to IPv6 the less cost it will be for them.

You don't have to delay supporting IPv6 just because 99% of your
routers have no support. There are things like GRE tunnels,
MPLS with 6PE and MPLS with 6VPE which can be used to carry IPv6
packets over v4. And there are various gateway services like
Teredo, 6to4, NAT-PT and the new v6 NAT which is not quite baked yet,
all of which allow some degree of interworking. Obviously an
ISP needs some devices to support IPv6 in order to make this
work, but not all devices.

That's why I suggest that all smaller ISPs should go to ARIN's
v6 wiki <http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Main_Page>, get educated
about v6, and figure out a plan of action.

There is more than one way to skin this cat.

--Michael Dillon