[arin-ppml] Does this apply to Transfers too?

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Thu Apr 23 09:20:00 EDT 2009

On 4/21/09 9:10 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> I would actually think that this new procedure is much easier on small
> orgs than on large ones, because there are far fewer layers of
> bureaucracy between the requestor and an officer...

Indeed, but I do not see this policy really having much impact on large
enterprises.  Large enterprises have many options.

It is VERY EASY for a large enterprise to come up with a justification
that would sufficiently pass muster for just about any amount of address
space.  All it requires is that they demonstrate (a) they are growing,
and (b) there exists some new personal technology (like, say, an iPhone
or the like) that will make use of the block.  That could justify a 50%
increase in allocations right there, because they will be relying on
statistics that say that over 50% of phones will be so-called
smartphones by the end of next year.

Of course there will be some organizations that will no doubt find such
paperwork bothersome and expensive, and may choose a different route.
That route includes IPv6, but quite frankly more likely would be more
use of NAT, and where possible acquisition of address space on the grey
market.  I say "grey" because ARIN probably cannot enforce anything upon
the organizations that had space before they existed.  In fact it hasn't
been shown that ARIN can enforce anything on organizations that have
acquired addresses since.

The organizations that this will truly impact are service providers,
because they acquire addresses all the time, and I won't presume to
speak to the difficulty of introducing a new paperwork path, or
requiring officers to make attestations.  You can bet, however, that
where the root of that term appears, so do many lawyers.

I do wonder what would happen if someone in a government organization
made an address request.  "Mr. Governor, would you mind signing this?"

Eliot