[arin-ppml] Does this apply to Transfers too?

Jean-Marc Pigeon jmp at safe.ca
Wed Apr 22 17:51:31 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 12:10 -0700, Scott Leibrand wrote:
> Seth Mattinen wrote:
> >
> > Some day I hope that new and exciting ways for small orgs to be raped by
> > the system will apply equally to everyone, regardless of size, money, or
> > lawyers.
> >

> I would actually think that this new procedure is much easier on small
> orgs than on large ones, because there are far fewer layers of
> bureaucracy between the requestor and an officer...

Agreed... but even in a small orgs, involving "officers"
doesn't mean using IPV4 resources wisely.

A real anecdote, year 1990, an exchange I heard between
a techy and a medium size company very top officer.

Techy: to be connected to the Internet we can have IP number
       assigned to us, according current and forecast needs,
       one Class C is needed, maybe 2 at most.
       (company was using 3 VAX and a couple of Unix super-micro,
         and those were used to support main activity (accounting
	 service type))

Manager: What is Class-C?

Techy: Class-C is the lowest group of IP you can get, you
	have class-B and class-A, class-A is a huge amount
	of IP, above 500000 IP.

Manager: What is the Class-A cost?

Techy: Free.

Manager: Get a Class-A!

Techy: There is no need for us and there is no way we
	could convince someone to assign a Class-A
	to us.

Manager: Could you get a Class-B?

Techy: We still have no need, but if I twist reality a little
	bit, yes I can have a class-B assigned to us.
	But why?

Manager: With big class-B own by us, we can say we are serious
	about the Internet!.

The techy got the class B assigned, soon enough the
class-B was not used, the company ceased to exist around
1998 but this class B is still not available to the
community (I am ready to bet it is not the only one).

Top manager was requesting a Big Internet Crunch to
satisfied its ego, regardless of real needs, same way
some top manager are asking huge salary and Fringe Benefits
not to feed their child but rather to show off above
the crowd.

So asking to officer to validate a request and tell
them in same time the resource is depleted is a good
way to have the request over inflated;
and sure enough; with all plausible excuses to fill up
at max.

While I don't believe involving officer will resolve
the IPV4 depletion at all, it is a move in the right
direction, "who is charge, who is taking responsibility",
but ARIN move is still too shy.

Lets move boldly...

IPV6 was sold to me and other as THE solution to get ENOUGH IP,
in fact there enough IPV6 to give one not only to everyone on
Earth but to its cat, dog, pig and parrot too, then there is
plenty enough to assign an IP to every single star in the milky way.

So why it is so difficult and expensive to have an IPV6?
no wonder IPV6 is still not real life!.

Lets propose and play with simple "IPV6 rules of acquisition".

#1: 	IPV6 are "allocated in trust" to a POC, POC is
	responsible for his IP "good behavior" before the
	the whole network. POC is not a company
	POC is a unique human "in charge".
	POC reference (signature keys), could be
	controlled by a company (but this is
	something between company and the human POC)

#2:	New IPV6 allocation request are granted
	no question asked,  provided all previously
	allocated IP to POC are routed, have a reverse
	address and 80% are answering to "ping" (ie
	IP are used for real).

#3:	IP is allocated to a POC, transfer to
	another POC is NOT an option (I can
	explain why later.)

#4:	POC is probed (lets say every 3 month)
	to make sure there's a human in charge.
	if after 15 month nobody is in charge
	and/or POC maintenance fee are not paid
	ARIN will remove POC's IP from the
	IP to "be routed" list and could
	allocate IP to another POC after a latency time.

#5:	If POC is not handling his IP
	in the right way (ie: used to
	make DOS, making network at risk, etc..) for the good
	of the physical network, other POC could be called
	to vote against the faulty POC privileges (peers review).

#6:	POC human details (phone number, personal Email..)
	are available to other POC only (to resolve technical
	issue).

#7:	Getting POC from ARIN will be a cumbersome process
	by purpose (ie getting 2 others good POC
	agreement, etc..), we do not want "night by fly" POC
	but POC can be requested by anyone (able to manage
	IP :-}).

Comments?

I have for my say, Internet was possible because getting
IPV4 was easy at the beginning (not too easy but easy enough
to have a critical mass).
With such simple rules, low maintenance fee, I would request
a small IPV6 (only what I need) on the spot and start to apply pressure on
my upstream provider to have IPV6 routed....

We must reach an IPV6 critical mass quick, lets forget about red-tape...

My 3 cents.

--
A bientôt
Jean-Marc Pigeon                                   Internet: jmp at safe.ca