[arin-ppml] [a-p] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4Recovery

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Mon Apr 20 18:46:34 EDT 2009

On Apr 20, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

Agreed, if you live in an invisible, n-dimensional, dynamically self-
(re)-organizing dormitory...

>> The apartment analogy does have one important feature in
>> common with the auto registration analogy: in either case
>> there is no independent mechanism or authority capable of
>> monitoring levels of compliance with any registration rules
>> that are still deemed to be important, and no insightful
>> (i.e., capable of seeing/determining the facts
>> independently) entity to act has a *passive* deterrent, much
>> less as an active authority capable of investigating  and,
>> if/when necessary, enforcing rules.
>>

> Huh?  Incorrect by all counts both in the analogies and with ARIN.

Incorrect on all counts for ARIN *today.*

ARIN currently has no active enforcement power that is not contingent
on its centrality in the (subsequent) allocation process. But that's
not as important as the passive "pro-compliance" mechanisms that are
also fundamentally tied up with ARIN's central place in the allocation
process...

Without that centrality, ARIN also has no capability to act as a nice,
passive but effective deterrent -- e.g., the dorm proctor who often
sees/knows when something "really bad" is going on, and who can remind
the rowdier residents that they need to follow the safety rules or
else "somebody might call the cops."

Also, given the independent mobility of the individual "dorm rooms,"
ARIN will no longer possess, or be able to claim to possess, an
authoritative view of the dorm's floorplan or residents; nobody will.
Perhaps someone from each room will always, accurately, and promptly
report any/every relevant change that takes place, and do this
consistently forevermore, but how would ARIN know? How would anybody
know?  All you can hope for is the perpetual non-occurrence of some
bad thing that would reveal the truth (c.f., the way we recently
learned about how the financial sector works).

You already clearly indicated that you know how rowdy the building is;
would you bet on it?

All I'm saying is if the community wants to support transfers, then
the community might want to find something more effective that faith
in a sudden, selective, and vast improvement in human nature to make
them work.

TV