[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 Recovery Fund

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sat Apr 18 14:42:26 EDT 2009

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

Not entirely.  With a few minor exceptions, only the sovereign can own
land; "estate in land" aka real estate is the _right to use_ land, and
that is what individuals buy and sell.  Individuals cannot own numbers,
either, but they can buy and sell the _right to use_ numbers on the
Internet.  A slot in the county deed recorder's office and a slot in
ARIN's registry aren't that different -- and a listing service for
buyers and sellers to meet would be little different either, except that
we assume most buyers don't care _which_ numbers they get, while most
buyers of real estate certainly do.