[arin-ppml] Did 2008-6 provide what Board needed?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 14 15:09:02 EDT 2009

On 14 Apr 2009 John Schnizlein wrote:

> Should the start be calculated from exhaustion of IANA's free pool?
> Recall that IANA's exhaustion will happen sooner than otherwise by the
> policy to disperse the last five /8s among the RIRs as soon as the
> normal allocations reach the last 5.  Actual exhaustion of free IPv4
> addresses happens when the RIR exhausts its pool.  Various proposals
> focussed on fairness toward the end might slow consumption of the
> RIR's pool still more.

Actually further done in my email I think I deal with that, at
least for my safety trigger and the automatic extension.  I
reference NRPM 10.4.2.1 and 10.4.2.2 which is where the /8s
for the RIR are reserved and handed out.   However, I didn't
correct for that when basing the projected run on from mid-
2011, on picking the specfic dates.

Geoff,

Does projection on potaroo.net, account for the new global
policy: "End Policy for IANA IPv4 allocations to RIRs" and the
last /8 that it reserves for each RIR?

Could you add that?  Or is the a different projection that
accounts for that you can point me to?

Thanks

> Your goal of providing less uncertainty is a good one.  Let's not
> arrange a transfer policy experiment to expire just after the lack of
> free addresses makes it more important.
>
> John

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818