[arin-ppml] Did 2008-6 provide what Board needed?

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 14 14:53:48 EDT 2009

On 14 Apr 2009 Chris Grundemann wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 07:49, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> > Further, delaying implementation to January 2010, would allow ARIN to get a
> > good start on POC validations, assuming 2008-7 gains consensus in San
> > Antonio, which could help prevent fraudulent transfers.  We would also have
> > a chance to complete other IPv4 end-game policies like maybe 2009-2,
> > providing a better picture of the whole solution to IPv4 scarcity not just IPv4
> > Transfers to Specified Recipients.  While allowing everyone, including ARIN,
> > to immediately begin their planing for IPv4 Transfers to Specified Recipients
> > to begin on a well known date.
>
> While I am obviously in favor of 2008-7 and the gains it will provide
> us, as long as we maintain the "authorized resource holders served by
> ARIN" language from 2008-6, I think we will be protected from
> fraudulent transfers.  As I read it, that text means that ARIN will
> vet the transferor before any transfer can take place.

While I agree that in theory 2008-7 doesn't add that much that
would protect from fraud that isn't already in 2008-6 or 2009-1,
but I have a feeling that in practice it might just add a little
more.  It coming at the mostly the same issues from a slightly
different angle, and that has got to be a good thing.

But, I guess my real point was that delaying a few months
probably shouldn't hurt much and may actually have a few
advantages.  But, I believe that starting now or in January is
mostly a wash either way, and I'm ask how others feel about
the options.

=======
David Farmer				     Email:
farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-
0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:
612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-
1818