[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 RecoveryFund

Tom Vest tvest at pch.net
Mon Apr 13 22:02:00 EDT 2009

On Apr 13, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> [...]

I do hope that you are right.
Because I watched first-hand a migration of another kind, one that
followed a more recent technology advance that was, at least
initially, only or most relevant to large operators. Some of the most
experienced and insightful people in the industry pioneered the
adaptation to that change too, only very shortly thereafter that
adaptation occasioned the collapse of the telecom/internet sector, c.
mid-late 2002.

We could (but won't) quibble over the specific causes behind both
migration moments ad nauseam.

The point is
	-- Not all adaptations are sustainable, much less "good" (as in "not
self-evidently suicidal in the near-to-medium term").
	-- Given strong enough short-term incentives, even extremely smart
people -- people that no one would ever accuse of malign intent --
will sometimes drive an industry straight over a plainly visible,
universally acknowledged cliff.

I'll repeat once more that this is not a criticism -- not of the
leading industry decision makers of the crash era, nor of the industry
decision makers of today (many of whom are one and the same people).
It's a reminder that the system that we largely, collectively define
dictates the incentives and the opportunities, and that clever people
are going to do what they always do -- what the system requires them
to do, what we all count on them to do under "normal" circumstances --
"good" or "bad," sustainable or suicidal though it might be in this
particular case. Pretending otherwise won't change things one bit, but
maybe -- maybe -- by acknowledging that reality and planning ahead,
e.g., by trying to minimize loopholes and to develop credible
deterrents and/or counter-incentives, the real, looming, industry-wide
risk could be minimized.

TV