[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 RecoveryFund

John Schnizlein schnizlein at isoc.org
Mon Apr 13 17:55:30 EDT 2009

It seems to me that the "bounty" a network operator could realize by
converting to IPv6 in order to release a block of IPv4 addresses is
exactly what would hasten deployment of IPv6.  Because this "bounty"
will obviously go to zero when IPv6 is widely enough deployed that
nobody needs any more IPv4 addresses, such an operator knows that
holding off too long ruins the chance for any bounty at all.

What would be even more beneficial is that a network operator trying
to decide if a new deployment should use IPv4 or IPv6 would see
(discouraging) variable and increasing costs of using IPv4 that it
could compare to the (hopefully decreasing) costs of deploying IPv6.

Part of the problem with deployment of IPv6 is that the cost of the
transition from IPv4 to IPv6 is hidden - or visible only to the far-
sighted who realize that it will be necessary when the number of hosts
on the Internet doubles again, but not now.

John