[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 RecoveryFund

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Apr 13 17:26:04 EDT 2009

I just see no point to publicizing the figure, and a lot
of time-wasting and diverting-from-IPv6-focus happening if
the figure is published.

If your in support of a transfer market you need to ask
yourself which is more important?  Getting the IPv4 numbers
reallocated, or waving around a bunch of pricing for some
political agenda?

I see no problem with ARIN staff communicating to would-be
sellers and would-be buyers what the current market rate is
under NDA.  Not publicizing the pricing is no deterrent to this
proposal and it really takes the air out of a lot of
potentially inflammatory rhetoric.

DO you really want people publically bitching because 2 months
ago an IPv4 block they bought today for $500 was going for
$200 and they feel cheated?  Or they buy that $500 block then
a week later the published "index" shows the price down to
$400 because someone turned in a /8 they didn't need anymore?

We need to be encouraging people to go to IPv6.  Publicizing the
current "bounty" for free IPv4 just draws attention to
IPv4 at the expense of IPv6.  If members of the community think
that ARIN's non-publically-disclosed pricing is unfair, then
I have a simple solution for them - don't buy IPv4.

Ted