[arin-ppml] Revised -- Policy Proposal 2009-4: IPv4 RecoveryFund

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Apr 13 17:11:31 EDT 2009

In a message written on Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 03:55:54PM -0500, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> One issue I do have is that the proposal is heavily slanted toward the big
> organizations with section 4.X.4 where it states "Recovered IPv4 number
> resources should be broken into smaller blocks only if there are no
> bidders for the larger sized blocks"
> I understand the rationale for this, but it would guarantee the big ISP's
> first crack at any blocks leaving only leftovers for small and middle sized
> operations.  This is not a level playing field.

I saw this the opposite, that it helps the little guy.  However,
that is based on an assumption, the smaller the block the more
likely it will be available on the market.

If a big guy comes along and gets qualified for a /12, he has to
wait for someone to return (voluntarily or for a recovery fee) a
/12.  ARIN is prohibited from handing him a bunch of smaller blocks
under this policy.  Relatively speaking there are very few /12's
out there, so there's a good chance that big guy will be waiting
for a long time.

Compare to someone who needs a /20.  There are a ton of /20's out
there, so there is a much better chance someone will be able to
free up one for someone else to use.

With transfer proposals like 2008-6 and 2009-1 there's nothing to
prevent someone who needs a /12 from buying up hundreds or even
thousands of /18-/22 sized blocks to meet their needs.  This proposal
only allows you to bid on the exact size you were approved for, get
approved for a /12 you can only bid on a /12.