[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Wed Apr 8 03:44:01 EDT 2009

> >3) ARIN institute a "bounty" program where someone who
> identifies and
> >provides supporting paperwork to "prove" a specific IPv4
> block is truly
> >abandoned OR is in use ILLEGALLY is given a credit on their yearly
> >bill. (ie: the person here is basically doing the work that
> ARIN staff
> >would have to do to certify an abandoned block is really abandoned)

> Thanks again for coming up with some positive alternatives!

I wouldn't exactly call turning ARIN into a private police force
to be a positive alternative.

Let's face it, this will never happen. ARIN's members will never
agree to this type of thing, and it may indeed be prohibited
by ARIN's charter. In addition, it cannot be submitted through
the PPML because it involves fees, which are set only by ARIN
members themselves.

Just because it is possible to make new policies, rules and
processes, doesn't mean that we should. Perhaps the best action
is to do nothing other than make sure that ARIN is never a
barrier to IPv6 deployment, and then let the cards fall where
they may. We cannot engineer the industry nor do we have a right
to do so.

--Michael Dillon