[arin-ppml] The AC has a job to do with 2009-1, can you please help?

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Apr 6 20:03:53 EDT 2009

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009, David Farmer wrote:

> On 6 Apr 2009 Joe Maimon wrote:
>
> > The more I consider it, the less the idea of a sunset clause appeals.
> >
> > A policy that works as intended should either obsolete itself or not
> > require any obsoletion. If it does not work as intended, thats what the
> > BoT emergency powers are for and a sunset would most likely be too late
> > to the part anyway.
>
> So, I personally really don't care one way or another on the
> sunset clause for a Transfer Policy, I can take it or leave it.
>
> But lately I've hearing a lot of opposition to have a policy with a
> sunset clause.  And at least the way it is being presented, it
> isn't mealy opposition to a sunset clause on a Transfer policy,
> but a more philosophical opposition to any policy with a sunset
> clause.

I'm seeing a lot of posts, but most are from a small number of
people.  All the opposition seems to come from people in favor of
a transfer policy without a sunset.

I'm not hearing any opposition to a sunset clause from those who
oppose a transfer policy.  You would think at least some in hard
opposition would also not want a transfer clause because it would
make a transfer policy more palatable to those on the fence.

I personally support a sunset clause on something this controversial.

Are people sitting on the fence likely to *oppose* continuation
of the policy if it works well?  (If so, they weren't truly on
the fence.)  If it works well, there should be no problem gaining
a consensus to continue it when it comes up for review.

> Then why do we allow for a Policy Term in the Policy
> Template?   If all policies should be Permanent, which is what
> people seem to be saying, should we just eliminate this from
> the Policy Template?
>
> >From the Policy Template;
>
> ------
> Policy term
>
> How long will the policy remain in effect? Is it intended to be
> temporary, permanent, or renewable?
> ------
>
> This seems to imply to me that at least some policies are
> intended to have a term other than forever or until otherwised
> removed by another policy action.

Agreed.  No one in favor of a transfer policy but opposed to a
sunset clause has explained why they think sunset clauses are
a good think in principle but would be a monkey wrench in IP
transfers.

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.