[arin-ppml] Alternative to arbitrary transfers

Leo Vegoda leo.vegoda at icann.org
Mon Apr 6 14:10:57 EDT 2009

Kevin,

On 06/04/2009 10:15, "Kevin Kargel" <kkargel at polartel.com> wrote:

[...]

> While I wholeheartedly believe we should support transfers for reason of
> merger/acquisition it still holds that returned addresses need to be made
> available to the community and not pirated peer2peer for profit.
>
> If there were to be an IP market then ARIN should be the monopolistic
> broker.  Of course that is not possible while maintaining not-for-profit
> status.

Assuming that people agree to return space to ARIN without the encouragement
of a chunk of cash that a transfer market might bring, how should ARIN
decide which requests to grant and which to deny when there are more
requests than space available? The options I see (in no particular order)
are:

- Best fit, i.e. prefixes aren't cut up to fill more requests
- Worthiness contest, e.g. one kind of service judged more important than
another
- First come first served
- Widest distribution, i.e. get address space to as many networks as
possible at the cost of deaggregation

Maybe there are other options, too.  What is your alternative to the
proposal for a transfer policy?

Regards,

Leo