[arin-ppml] Looking at just the pro and con merits of 2009-1review

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Fri Apr 3 21:14:28 EDT 2009

Randy Bush wrote:
>> Have you had good luck with tunnels?
>
> mediocre.  they suck.  worst problems is mtu issues and no pmtud.  but
> they suck less than no connectivity.

>From experience, I disagree with the general statement(s) that tunnels
are "mediocre" and that "they suck".

That said, I _know_ that I am a very fortunate person regarding my
setup. (I'll take this time to once again state my appreciation to those
involved).

I don't have v6 native either, but I've been advertising my v6 prefix
over tunnels for well over a year. The only problems I've had have been
my own (dropping out of the global routing table).

pMTUD and MTU in general has not been an issue, as I've been blessed
having been supplied my tunnels by highly intelligent engineers of their
respective companies directly.

I agree with Randy though that tunnels are better than nothing,
especially when you are a small *SP/shop that has no hope in hell of
their upstream even considering implementing IPv6.

Experience (including tunnels) is better than nothing, especially for
the small people.

Steve