[arin-ppml] Looking at just the pro and con merits of 2009-1review

Lee Dilkie Lee at dilkie.com
Fri Apr 3 18:53:34 EDT 2009

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> Lee Dilkie wrote:
>

>> I really wish I had an ISP that offered native but alas, none
>> to be found around here.
>>

> Wait, there are no commercial ISPs with a presence in Ottowa that will
> provide ipv6? That beggars the imagination.

Imagine that. And it not for lack of asking but either their upstreams
don't provide, or there's no demand, or, or ,or

As far as I can tell, everyone is waiting for the ball to drop. Even my
own company. I have had this project on my plate for 2 years now, ipv6
enable our applications (at least to the extent that we can claim
compliance and have a marketing bullet). I've waited and waited but
something "more important" always come along to bump it. Now, I can't
disagree, the "more important" project really is important but ipv6
programming is no small piece of work, I'm looking at several man-years
to address even one client-server link (requires protocol changes due to
embedded ip addresses in protocol). I'm concerned that when the ball
finally does "drop" and we need ipv6 "now", it's only going to signal
the start of the project and folks are going to be mighty disappointed
at the date of completion and *then* the fun begins. oh well, fun is fun.

-lee