[arin-ppml] Looking at just the pro and con merits of 2009-1 review

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Apr 3 16:47:01 EDT 2009

I agree with Matthew's analysis of the problem of conslidating org IDs. In fact the problem could be worse than he makes out, it could impose all kinds of structural changes on the IT management of large organizations who have decentralized arrangements.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
------------------------------
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org<http://internetgovernance.org/>

It would be fatal to some of these businesses for their IP address
management to be lumped together simply because I am the majority owner
of more than one of these. Among other things, it would drastically
complicate things when I (as I often do) sell these entities to new
owners or investors. As an example, I recently sold a podcasting-related
entity shortly after I acquired a wireless ISP. Both used IP addresses,
but in vastly different ways. Both are separate legal entities, one a
California corporation which is now dissolved and whose assets are part
of the Texas corporation, the other a Delaware corporation. There should
be no reason why two different corporations should be required to share
management of their IP address space simply as a consequence of their
current ownership.

Ask any company doing private equity buyouts if they want to be managing
the IP address space for the various types of companies under their
control, as another example.

Matthew Kaufman
*