[arin-ppml] Looking at just the pro and con merits of 2009-1 review

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Apr 3 15:04:24 EDT 2009

Scott Beuker wrote:
> First off, I am opposed to 2009-1 because I'm opposed to any transfer policy that would allow resources, acquired from ARIN with justification for use, to be sold in a manner that clearly demonstrates the justification was false. I understand the desire to motivate people to free up IPs, but I can't support a policy that also encourages pre-exhaustion hoarding.

I think you're missing a key point: there is a big gap between
justification and minimum requirements.  For instance, an end-user org
with PI space might have a /16 that is, in fact, justified under current
policy, but they could also _choose_ to renumber into RFC 1918 space,
use NAT in a /24 (or PA space), and sell that /16 to someone with a
greater need.  Ditto for those mega-ISPs with more than a /8 of space:
they _could_ NAT those tens of millions of eyeballs.

Is failing to return that _justified_ space to ARIN "hoarding"?  I don't
think so.  I'm not "hoarding" my house, but if you offer me enough money
for it, I'll agree to move; failing to donate my house to charity, just
because I _could_ live elsewhere, is not hoarding.

> Furthermore, it probably represents a legal quagmire of some kind to deny one business space due to another business, with such a vague and hard to demonstrate definition of "common control or ownership". In hindsight it would have been great if this were implemented years ago, but at this point it's too little too late and best left alone IMO.

I agree; even if we agree this change is a good idea, it's probably too
late to implement it.

If we did decide to pursue it, it is such a significant change that it
merits its own proposal, not being a rider on a transfer proposal or
Emergency PDP action.  Riders like that on big must-pass bills are one
of the main reasons US politics are so bad, and I'd hate to see us move
in that direction...