[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-7: Identify Invalid WHOIS POC’s

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:42:54 EDT 2009

On 2 Apr 2009 William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> > Draft Policy 2008-7
> > Identify Invalid WHOIS POC´s
>
> Here's a very partial and very rough cost estimate on implementing
> this proposal:
>
> Let's assume it takes me 5 minutes to scan the email, recognize that
> its the annual game of tag, find the instructions in the message,
> follow the instructions to certify my POC record is still valid and
> then get my mind back in the game for what I was working on before the
> interruption.
>
> 5 minutes per contact * 223,000 POCs / 60 minutes per hour = 18,600 man-hours.
>
> Most of your POCs earn between $30 and $70 per hour with a median
> around $50. That's just what it costs for someone in North America who
> is competent to perform deep technical work of this nature. Time value
> to a company is typically 3 times or more what an employee is paid.
> So, figure that those typically hours "cost" the organizations $150
> each.
>
> $150 per hour * 18,600 hours per year = $2,800,000 per year.

Is that just a fun fact or are you arguing against the proposal?

In case you are arguing against the proposal, I will point out
that many people are properly managing their POC data and
already probably taking that 5 minutes to verify their POC data
and other whois info on a regular basis already.

So, I would argue this is not a new cost for many, only for
those not actually properly maintaining their data.  So while
there is a cost I suspect most of the new cost is falling on
those that are not being good netizens anyway.  Therefore,
they are probably pushing costs on to others who may have a
hard time contacting them or getting issues dealt with in a
timely manner.