[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2008-7: Identify Invalid WHOIS POC’s

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Thu Apr 2 11:36:15 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Member Services <info at arin.net> wrote:
> Draft Policy 2008-7
> Identify Invalid WHOIS POC’s

Here's a very partial and very rough cost estimate on implementing
this proposal:

Let's assume it takes me 5 minutes to scan the email, recognize that
its the annual game of tag, find the instructions in the message,
follow the instructions to certify my POC record is still valid and
then get my mind back in the game for what I was working on before the
interruption.

5 minutes per contact * 223,000 POCs / 60 minutes per hour = 18,600 man-hours.

Most of your POCs earn between $30 and $70 per hour with a median
around $50. That's just what it costs for someone in North America who
is competent to perform deep technical work of this nature. Time value
to a company is typically 3 times or more what an employee is paid.
So, figure that those typically hours "cost" the organizations $150
each.

$150 per hour * 18,600 hours per year = $2,800,000 per year.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004