[arin-ppml] 2008-6: Emergency Transfer Policy for IPv4 Addresses

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Mon Sep 29 12:00:20 EDT 2008

> I still believe that a transfer policy at all is a bad idea
> and do not support any form.

And given the current problems with the world's financial markets,
I believe that this is the WRONG TIME for any RIRs to be considering
liberalization of address block transfers.

Market mechanisms are no longer trusted. It is becoming clear
that the complex derivatives being traded were a cover for massive
fraud. Since IP addresses are not property/assets, the only way
they can be traded is via derivatives.

Nobody on the BoT or the AC is qualified to make decisions regarding
markets, therefore ARIN should simply steer entirely clear of the
whole mess. Stick with what we know and what works. People who made
bad strategic decisions about deploying IPv6 in their networks may
be hurt, and they may complain loudly about this, but ARIN has no
duty to rescue such organizations from their bad decisionmaking.

IPv6 is there and ARIN has made sure that the registry is not a barrier
to deploying IPv6. That is sufficient.

--Michael Dillon