[arin-ppml] Policy Proposal 2008-2: IPv4 Transfer Policy Proposal -Revised

Scott Leibrand sleibrand at internap.com
Thu Sep 18 17:27:36 EDT 2008

Milton L Mueller wrote:
> [...]

Ok, works for me.  We're almost back to the language from 2008-2 version
1.0.  :)

>>> I would reword as "...may seek pre-qualification from ARIN to
>>> authenticate its prior assignment or allocation of the address
>> resources offered for transfer."
>> There is also the question of whether the 12-month clock has elapsed
>> such that the space is eligible for transfer.
>
> OK, so it's:
>
> "...may seek pre-qualification from ARIN to authenticate its prior
> assignment or allocation of the address resources offered for transfer
> and its compliance with transfer time limits."
>
> The idea is just to avoid purely discretionary blockages of transfers.
> But if I'm getting to be too much like a lawyer, shoot me.

I don't think that's a concern, because 8.3.5 says that "interested
transferor *may* seek pre-qualification".  Since it's optional, it can't
really hold anything up.

> Sure, it's another speculation check, understood. Does ARIN have the
> resources to check compliance with the reporting requirements?

Generally ARIN is aware when a company has more than one Org ID (and
usually for good reason).  So most of the time this wouldn't require any
extra resources on ARIN's part.  ARIN's fraud-detection sensors have
gotten pretty good (I hear), so I have no doubt they'd have resources to
check up on things when there's reason for suspicion.  I don't think
they'd be routinely checking through SEC filings on every request that
comes in, though.  :)

-Scott