[arin-ppml] CIDR v2.0

Michael K. Smith - Adhost mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Sep 16 11:31:03 EDT 2008

> The difficulty with this is that we already have problems of hardware
> that is insufficient to support the routing tables.  ISP's are already
> filtering long CIDR routes (>24bit) because there isn't sufficient
> memory or processor in the hardware to support the number of routes it
> would require.
>
> Your idea would work, but only if we got rid of PI space and forced
> everyone to use IP space from their ISP so that there could be efficient
> route aggregation.  If you search through threads you will see that
> there is violent opposition by end users who want to be provider
> independent.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but I don't understand how using PA space is going to save any routing table entries.  If I get a /20 from one of my providers, I have to announce it as a /20 through all of my providers.  How is this more efficient than receiving a /20 from ARIN and announcing that over multiple providers?  Same goes for IPv6.

Mike