[arin-ppml] CIDR v2.0

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Tue Sep 16 08:06:14 EDT 2008

In a message written on Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:37:14PM +0200, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> Now that IPv4 address space is becoming scarce again, why not do the
> same thing again? But now rather than arbitrary powers of 2, we modify
> the protocols to work with arbitrary address ranges. I.e., 192.0.2.27
> - 192.0.2.43.

If given the choice of having to debug an entirely new routing
protocol and deploy it to every Internet router to make things work,
isn't moving to IPv6 a more intelligent use of that time and effort?

Were there no IPv6, I might support your idea.  However, even at
today's limited state IPv6 is both far more deployed than the
solution you propose, and solves the problem in a way that will
last for many more years.  From a code perspective, your solution would
start from scratch in another 1-2 years, if we could get people to agree
real fast.