[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 10 18:21:39 EDT 2008

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 10:46:31AM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>
>> Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
>>
>>> There are limits to what the community can choose to do.  For example, it cannot choose to walk into my office and take away my hardware on the grounds that it's using the community network...
>>>
>> Taking someone else's property is a crime.  Numbers are not property, though, nor can they be taken away from you.  However, the service of registration _can_, and since you're not paying for it, deciding not to give it to you for free would be perfectly legal -- not theft.
>>

> 	see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eminent_domain

Well, of course the politicians have monkeyed with the laws so that when
_they_ want to steal someone else's property (whether land or income),
it's legal.  For the rest of us, it's not.  However, since numbers
cannot be property (they are "facts of nature"), they cannot be stolen
or otherwise expropriated.