[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Sep 10 16:56:27 EDT 2008

Hi Leo,

  I think this is premature.  Before spending a lot
of effort in dealing with legacy numbering we really need to know
how extensive the problem is.

  That is why that passing either the "Annual WHOIS POC validation"
or the "whois POC e-mail cleanup" proposal when these come up is
critical.  Both of these proposals are non-invasive in terms of
changing legacy status of IP number blocks - they both leave the
actual "what do we do with them now what we have identified them"
problem to further proposals such as yours.  BUT, they start the
ball rolling on identifying the amount of stale legacy space out
there.  If the ARIN community doesn't have the stomach to support
either of these proposals, then it definitely isn't going to have
the stomach to implement an idea like yours which actually makes
changes to the status of legacy blocks.

Ted