[arin-ppml] A compromise on legacy space?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Sep 10 10:46:58 EDT 2008

Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I believe ARIN can stop providing whois, in-addr.arpa, free acceess
> for two members to the public policy meeting and other services to
> legacy holders who terminate their contract.

There we agree.  I'd also say ARIN could do the same for any legacy
resources held by anyone who has not signed a contract at all.

> I do not believe ARIN can dump the entry from their internal database or assign the same numbers to someone else.

I do not see any law or contract that would prevent ARIN from assigning
or allocating those numbers to someone else.

Numbers are not property.  ARIN is selling the service of providing
uniqueness of registration, not numbers.  If the numbers are no longer
registered to party X, they can be freely assigned or allocated to party Y.

> I have no issues with limiting the entire scope of my original post to IPv4 only.  Thus group 1 would include any entity with IPv4 addresses under an RSA, and not include IPv6 or ASN holders.

Why exclude ASNs?  My employer has legacy IPv4 space but an ARIN ASN.
Which group do you think we should fall into?  What is the justification
for either rolling our legacy space under the RSA or keeping the legacy
space under LRSA while we have an ASN under RSA?  You haven't convinced
me that either action is fair.