[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

John Santos JOHN at egh.com
Mon Sep 8 19:11:20 EDT 2008

On Mon, 8 Sep 2008, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> Sorry, the length of this message kind of got away from me.  I'm
> trying to put many thoughts into a single message, rather than
> spew messages into PPML all day.

This is the only clause that I have any problems with, at least
so far.

Maybe the word "applicable" covers this, though IANAL, so I
worry!

First there are is the issue of jurisdiction, i.e. who decides
that the holder should lose their IPs?  The court?  The ARIN
staff?  How does ARIN discover that the situation has arisen?
Do courts routinely notify ARIN of such situations, or does
someone have to complain?

Second is the issue of scope.  I don't think I should lose my
IP addresses because my company failed to shovel its front walk
within 12 hours of a snow storm!  In fact, I would have problems
with this for virtually any criminal activity that wasn't
internet-related.  Sure, if someone was spoofing other peoples
IP addresses or injecting bogus routes or actively trying to
crack competitor's networks, but what about something like
tax fraud or OSHA violations?

Third is I don't think ARIN should become an instrument of
state suppression of freedom of speach, press, or association.
For example, I don't think ARIN should be in a position of
aiding the US Govt in prosecuting the New York Times, the
Washington Post, or the Boston Globe for publishing the
Pentagon Papers.  (I think they were all ultimately forced
to pay a fine and desist from further publication, until the
whole case became moot, but under these rules, would they
have lost their internet access?)  If ARIN were ordered
by a court to revoke the allocations, I don't see it would
have any choice, but I don't think it should be doing this
on its own initiative.

(A more current example would be if Amnesty International
was to publish secretly-obtained interviews with Gitmo
prisoners, and the US Govt went after it.)

Perhaps "applicable" covers all these areas, or maybe there
implicitly has to be a court order, with due process, all
possibility of appeals exhausted, etc.

> 4. 4(d)(iii) Legacy holder "assist(s) any third party in engaging
> in any activity prohibited by this Legacy Agreement."

Assuming all protections that apply to the previous section
also apply here, this would be okay.  Otherwise it is the
possibility of an end-run around 4(d)(ii).

--
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.