[arin-ppml] ARIN releases new version of the Legacy Registration

Howard, W. Lee Lee.Howard at stanleyassociates.com
Sun Sep 7 09:34:16 EDT 2008

Darn Windows (i.e., user fatfinger) sent message before I was ready.

I see that.  Can you specify in excrutiating detail what
control you yield?  I think you mean that you don't believe
you should be required to release your address space under
any circumstances.  I think the few circumstances remaining
in the LRSA are reasonable; can you list the ones you think
are unfair?

Let me put my perspective this way. . . we worked hard to
rewrite the LRSA so that the only circumstances under which
you would cede your addresses to ARIN were under your control.

By "we" I mean "that's what I was trying to do."

> 	5.  If any legacy holdings are to be seized, the
> prevailing sentiment seems to prefer doing so with the
> unreachable and/or apathetic holders, and not with the
> cooperative and participating ones;

I'm not sure I've seen that stated explicitly, but that seems
like a reasonable preference.  That would include falling
out of touch/compliance with the LRSA, too (if signed).

> 	6.  Finally, by many if not all accounts, reallocating,
> reclaiming, and/or revoking legacy holdings simply isn't
> likely to ameliorate ipv4 exhaustion (or ramifications
> thereof) to any truly significant or meaningful degree.

I concede that.  That's why I didn't argue that legacy holders
must be able to show utilization (whether under current
policies, RFC2050, or the policies or use stated at the time
of original assignment).

> Eric

Thank you for your reasonable tone and contribution.

Lee

Disclaimer:  I wrote this, nobody else, and it's entirely possible
that other Board members, ARIN staff, General Counsel, or my wife
will disagree or remember differently.