[arin-ppml] IPv6 Heretic thoughts

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Sep 5 15:37:16 EDT 2008

On Sep 5, 2008, at 2:22 PM, Kevin Kargel wrote:
> The industry that we are in is more than a business, we have direct
> impact
> on society and quality of life, and thereby we have more than normal
> responsibility to safeguard the public interest (Use the power wisely,
> Luke)..  Our decisions cannot be based entirely on business and
> bottom line.
>
> I am a median line capitalist, and I do believe that capitalistic
> drivers
> are good and necessary for shaping business.  Having said that it is
> expressly the cooperative anarchy that has let the internet develop
> into the
> wonderful and functional entity that it is.  Without the free thinking
> methods of open source and the tremendous works of organizions such
> as ARIN
> the various standards bodies the Internet would not have evolved
> into the
> amazing thing we have today.

Kevin -

    I'm not advocating for (or against) a more relaxed
    transfer policy, but I'm wondering if you have an
    alternative suggestion on how to best encourage
    existing legacy holders that have some address
    space which could be freed up with significant
    effort to undertake the task?   Some of the
    suggestions to date have been a relaxed transfer
    policy, asking nicely and thanking them loudly,
    government intervention, or giving up completely
    since it may only provide us a few more years of
    IPv4 block general availability.

    Are you thinking that a relaxed transfer policy
    isn't needed, or just that it isn't worth the
    potential consequences?

/John
(solely responsibility for the above thoughts and
those photons emitted from displays as a result)