[arin-ppml] IPv6 Heretic thoughts

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Sep 5 13:15:40 EDT 2008

Yes, but this kind of change in fact WAS made repeatedly in the 2-way
radio space, within the same spectrum. The situation was quite analogous
to running out of IPv4 addresses. Instead of expanding the amount of
spectrum used, specialized mobile radio operators made equipment and
standards changes to enable more intensive use of existing spectrum. It
is very similar to using NAT or some other reorg of existing address
space.

Transfers or no transfers, people will be faced with economic incentives
of that sort.

So, don't assume that if we just shut off IPv4 then everyone will
migrate to IPv6. Herrin and others have been making the much more
realistic point that that may not happen. People may just make more
intensive use of IPv4 via NAT and other techniques.