[arin-ppml] the Transfer Policy Argument Space

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Sep 4 13:07:49 EDT 2008

On Sep 4, 2008, at 7:15 AM, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> Owen DeLong and Bill Darte said:
>> ARIN should encourage entities with free space to return it.
>

> What form should that encouragement take?
>
> 1.  "The ARIN Board of Trustees encourages those entities with
> free address space to return it to ARIN."

This is a no-brainer, and, should be done regardless of whatever
else we do or not in this regard.

> 2.  "The ARIN Board of Trustees offers one large, chewy
> chocolate chip cookie to any entity with free address space
> who returns it to ARIN."

With or without nuts? Seriously, cookies, I don't think so, but,
I think that some form of "carrot" (no, I don't mean literal
carrots) is not necessarily a bad idea.

> 3.  ARIN reduces fees on remaining space.

This would not be a bad start and as you point out in your
LRSA to some extent.

> 4.  ARIN offers publicity for those who return space.

Probably not a bad idea for those that want the publicity.

> 5.  ARIN offers prizes to those who return space.  What prizes?

I think this is a duplicate of item 2, but, I could be wrong.
I'm not sure what kind of prizes could be effective in this area,
but, I think it is worthy of some research.

> 6.  ARIN offers cash to those who return space.  How much?

To me, cash is just a different form of prize/reward/carrot.
I would consolidate 2, 5, and 6 in this case.  However, the
fact that 3 of your 7 suggestions revolve around ARIN
providing carrots would seem to indicate that it is worthy
of consideration.

> 7.  Fill in the blank _____________________

If I come up with something, I'll definitely let you know.

> In case anyone sitting on big chunks of addresses is feeling
> discouraged, I encourage you to return space to ARIN.
>
> Not to be pessimistic, but I don't think there's enough unused
> address space to matter, unless we also reduce the rate at which
> we assign IPv4 address space.

Not at all.  However, thought exercise... If you think a liberalized
transfer policy would help, but, address returns would not... What
is it about the transfer policy that is more effective than an incentive
program for returns?  Would it be possible to make the return
incetives as effective?

Owen