[arin-ppml] TPRC Paper on IP Addresses and Transfer Markets: "Running on Empty: the Challenge of Managing Internet Addresses"

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Thu Sep 4 10:22:39 EDT 2008

Dear all,

We would like to bring to your attention a paper that Bill Lehr, Tom
Vest, and I wrote for the upcoming TPRC conference, at the end of this
month, the title of which is "Running on Empty: The Challenge of
managing Internet addresses".  The paper looks at transfer markets and
specific proposals from the RIRs and provides pluses and minuses to the
theoretical space, as well as some commentary on specific proposals.
The authors concur that the results of the proposed market initiatives
will likely depend on variety of identifiable parameters (e.g., specific
transfer policy mechanisms, possible IPv4 reservation policies, secure
inter-domain routing initiatives, etc.), but do not agree on the
appropriate weighting of risks.

In talking about specific RIR proposals we note extreme differences in
what we presume to be the assumptions of the authors about ability to
enforce regulations and the priorities that an RIR should have.  We also
look at the impact of transfer markets on IPv6 adoption, and to a lesser
extent, on the interdependency between addressing and routing.

We hope this paper is useful to continuing a dialog that leads to
appropriate evolution of RIR policies.  You can find it here
<http://tprcweb.com/files/Lehr%20Vest%20Lear%20Internet%20Address%20TPRC%208_15_08.pdf>
or by going to www.tprc.org and looking at the detailed agenda for
Saturday, along with several other interesting and related papers.

Yours,

Bill Lehr
Tom Vest
Eliot Lear