[arin-ppml] Routing table growth, was Re: IPv4 is depleted today

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Sep 3 16:12:27 EDT 2008

> 10. This model works "successfully" (although without any real
>     of hierarchical aggregation due to extensive PI reuse) and
>     provides us a small number of additional year of growth
>     before collapsing due to departure from RFC 2008/BCP 7.

while i am not claiming the bgp sky is not falling, we actually have no
good measurements or experiments to substantiate the arguments that we
have a particularly low ceiling.

my guess is that, with current routers, it is the multi-homed enterprise
edge that is likely to hit any wall before the big isps.  the latter may
just see an increase in the rate of needing to appease their line card
addiction.  wuzza wuzza.

randy