[arin-ppml] The problem with IPv4 bogon and listing them

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 29 19:34:22 EDT 2008

Let me fast forward for a moment:

It is now 2015 and it's been a few years since the last IANA-assigned
"virgin" IPv4 has been allocated from ARIN.

The large ISPs are now heavily into native IPv6 for Vista dialups, and
private IPv4 for everyone else, all going to large IPv4<->IPv6 translators,
as well as IPv4<->IPv4 nats.  It's fricken ugly for them, but they have
the cash to have a staff of network admins to keep the kludges running.

I'm a small ISP needing a portable block because I'm too big for my
upstreams
to hand me IP address blocks anymore, and besides I don't trust them any
further
than I can spit a rat and definitely don't want the golden handcuffs.  I
know
I need to run both IPv4 and IPv6 on my net to connect customers.  But, I
don't
have the expertise or time to keep a massive kludge/proxy thing running, so
what I want to do is KISS, that is, run IPv6 and public IPv4.

I go to ARIN for my small /21 IPv4 and my IPv6.  ARIN gives me the IPv6
immediately.  ARIN then gives me 3 options for getting IPv4:

1) Go on a waiting list and wait until God-knows how long
2) Take a "dirty" block that was just returned last week
3) try to find some abandonded IPv4 block floating around out there
that may or may not have been hijacked, and ARIN hasn't gotten around
to collecting up.

I think you know what I'm going to do.  I'll take the dirty block and
take my chances with it.  After all, all I really need to do is start
assigning from it, and when my customers call saying they can't get to
AOL or some place like that, I just need to contact AOL and ask them to
pull my newly-assigned block off their bogon list.  Which, knowing AOL,
after enough trouble, they will do it.

Ted