[arin-ppml] The problem with IPv4 bogon and listing them

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Oct 29 16:14:16 EDT 2008

Very good.

> I agree that without much closer interwork between ARIN and
> CYMRU that blind adoption of the CYMRU list would be
> foolhardy.  As it stands it is a great reference, but not a
> great authoritative reference.
>
> If money is needed to fund an ARIN bogon effort it could
> easily be offered as a subscription service.  I would happily
> pay a reasonable fee.

I don't see that yet another fee is necessary here.  ARIN
already has a database - whois.  An effort really needs to be
made to get the number blocks listed in whois to align with what
is actually assigned, don't you think?  Whois should not list
network entries for blocks that are in the free pool, and
there should not be assigned blocks that lack an entry in
whois.

Ideally, a bogon list should be able to be generated by running
a query that iterates through every /24 in the IP numberspace
and queries it against the whois database, and the list would
be all queries that return "no object found"

Ted