[arin-ppml] The Library Book Approach to IPv4 Scarcity

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Tue Oct 28 07:11:26 EDT 2008

> Once every 12months each holder of IPv4 addresses is required
> to fully document their IP utilization and demonstrate that
> the current utilization standard for IPv4 assignments and
> allocations is being met. This shall include all currently
> held IPv4 space, regardless of origin or registration status.

I like this. It is broadly in line with the NANPA processes for
reporting on telephone number utilisation, i.e. there is precedent
for this kind of reporting.

> A fee shall be assessed for underutilization or insufficient
> documentation.

I'm not sure punitive measures will pass.

>     * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the
> address holder returns a contiguous block of IPv4 space equal
> to at least 1/256th of currently held space and no less than
> one /24 (class C equivalent) to ARINs free pool.
>     * The fee for one 12m period shall be waived if the
> address holder signs an ARIN RSA for any uncontested and
> unregistered IPv4 space, this waiver shall be restricted to
> one use per member organization.

These points are completely separate from the main point.
Also, since ARIN members set the fees, not the policymakers,
this detail should not be in a policy proposal.

--Michael Dillon