[arin-ppml] Some observations on the differences in the various transfer policy proposals

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Oct 27 20:58:14 EDT 2008

Geoff,

You make a persuasive argument for the separation of the Registry and the
Allocation functions in the RIR and that the Regulatory functions are tied to
the Allocation functions and not to the Registry functions.

When I look at the construction of RIPE and APNIC Policy, I easily see this
separation. However, when I look at the construction of ARIN Policy, I don't
as easily see this separation.  It may actually be there, but just hidden and
maybe this is a defect in ARIN Policy, or maybe it is a strength in the way
ARIN policy was structured.  At the very least I believe this would need to be
clarified in ARIN policy to create the outcome you are suggesting.

Second, you analogize the Registry Function with the function of a title
office, and I tend to agree with this, especially in the transfer of whole
Allocated block of addresses.   But unless a whole block that was already
Allocated is being transferred, then we are talking about a Subdivision
process, and for land there is defiantly a regulatory regime involved in doing
that.  The title office may or may not be directly involved in the regulation of
the subdivision process, honestly I am not sure how that works everywhere.
But even if the title office is not directly involved in the regulation of the
subdivision process, it is not free to register the subdivision of the land
without the necessary regulatory approvals.

So while I think agree with you about the separation of the Allocation and
Registry functions.  I don't think IPv4 Address Exhaustion implies the end of
the Regulatory processes and responsibilities of the RIRs for IPv4, it may
change the focus, more to the Sub-Allocation process.  This Sub-Allocation
process is already at least basically regulated in the current regulatory
regime, all the RIRs place policy on what the LIRs (ISPs) do with the
allocations granted to them.  If anything IPv4 Address Exhaustion reinforces
the need for proper regulation of the important process of Sub-Allocation.

So, at best I think the argument for separation the Registry and Allocation
Functions provides a argument for the unrestricted transfer of whole IPv4
address blocks as currently Allocated but does not provide a valid argument
for deregulation of the Sub-Allocation or the dividing of IPv4 blocks into
smaller ones.

Just as with land and the fact that there are many valid reasons it is in the
public interest to regulate Subdivision of land parcels, there are equally
many reasons it is in the Internet Community's interest to regulate the Sub-
Allocation of IP address blocks.  And just as a title office can't register the
subdivision of land without regulatory approval, an Internet Registry can't
register the Sub-Allocation of IP address blocks without regulatory approval
either.  In either case it, the title office or Internet Registry, would be acting
outside of its separate role from the regulatory function and against the
public interest.

Thanks

David Farmer

David Farmer				     Email:	farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota			     Phone:	612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE			     Cell:		612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029		     FAX:	612-626-1818